Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fire

The photography group I belong to decided the project for this weeks get together would be fire.


Sounds easy at first, candles on a cake, flaming marshmallows, glowing sticks being twirled around in the dark... I decided that I would make images of flames in a glass vessel and my accelerant would be alcohol, like the kind you drink. However when trying to transpose thoughts into reality, it doesn't always go as planned, apparently vodka does not have a high enough percentage of alcohol.

So now what! I'm determined that this is what I want to do. My husband is brilliant, he suggests hand sanitizer which is 60% alcohol and that fact that it's in a gel helps to keep the alcohol from burning off too fast.



My studio is the dining room table.  The ambiant lighting comes from a small table lamp on the left and 3 tea lights on the right.  I squirt the sanitizer into the holders light 'em up and voila! Blue flames!
 
The camera settings for the first image,  ISO 500,  aperture f5.6 shutter 1/2 sec.  The White balance set to 2550 K.   The second image the settinger are, ISO 500, aperture f 10 shutter 4 sec and the white balance 2500 K.
 
In photoshop I increased the vibrance and saturation to enhance the flame. For the second image I adjusted the hue & saturation which brought up the red glow in the glass rocks.

2 comments: