Thursday, January 14, 2010

More about Layering Photographs...

I am a member of a small photography club in Port Hardy.  We get together every two weeks to share ideas and challenge each other and ourselves to improve our photography and digital editing skills.

Our last meeting was before Christmas and our homework was to create an image by merging or layering two or move photographs together.

My first attempt is the Budda photograph using Photoshop's Layers tool.... I think it turned out pretty good.

Over the last week I have been going through my photo files looking for images that I think will "merge" together to create dreamy looking images using another tool in Photoshop called HDR merge.

WOW! I love it!

I found and article in "Mastering Digital Photography: Image Control"  explaining how to create layered images.

Through trial and error I have created "Walking into the Sunset" by merging three images together.


 I saturated the colours in the forest.




This image was cropped to the same size as the forest, no other editing was done.




I lightened and saturated the colours for the sunset.

The end result is...

 

One thing I learned using this process, all the images must be created using the same camera and need to be cropped to the same size.  When I tried to merge photographs taken with my current camera a Nikon D80 and my old camera, a Nikon D70, an error image came up saying the images could not be merged because of this. I have not investigated if there is a way to over ride the error message or not.

All of the images used to create Walking into the Sunset were taken on a Nikon D70.

No comments:

Post a Comment